Monday, September 18, 2006

Chapter Two - Deep Blues

I'm starting to get a bit more into the book but still have a hard time forcing myself to get to it early...Oh well, I got it done and am beginning to enjoy so that's all that really matters.

Several characters-both familiar and unheard of (for me anyway) were introduced this chapter including: Charley Patton, Joe Dockery, Henry Sloan, Tommy Johnson, Eddie "Son" House, and James Coyner. Patton and his life, particularily his involvement in music, were the focus. Patton, Sloan, and Johnson played together often at Joe Dockery's plantation and helped form what is now called blues. Blues songs seem to have somewhat community lyrics--bits and pieces are taken from several different songs and combined into a "original" piece that is noteworthy for its combination as well as tone and rhythm.

Tommy Johnson claimed that he learned to play the guitar so well by selling his soul to the devil. This immediately made me remember O Brother, Where Art Thou because I believe the guitarist in that movie who "sold his soul to the devil" was also named Tommy. Was it the same guy??

I'm not quite sure how James Coyner loops in with Patton...he just seemed like a very disturbed man.

No comments: