Sunday, November 19, 2006

Weekend Festivities

It was quite the weekend for artistic performances on campus. My roommate is in danceline and participated in the play-in-a-day so I went to both to show some support. I missed out on the jazz show this weekend, but it was really good the last time they had a concert and I'd assume that they kept it up this week. The dance ensemble had several different types of dances. The variety was nice so that if you didn't like some there were probably still at least a couple of dances that were interesting/fun to watch.

The play-in-a-day was wonderful. I was impressed by how well together everything seemed to be despite only having 24 hours of preparation. I used to do stage crew for plays in high school so I appreciate the fact that not only did the actors memorize their lines and blocking, but there was even some tech involvement. I knew several of the ac†ors and writers from improv, swing, and seeing them around in the dorms. After something like seven hours of practice the actors showed us what they had gotten together. There were three separate plays which each lasted about 10 minutes. Each had been written by a different playwright and had its own director and cast. All in all they did a fine job of creating over the 24 hour period that they were given and were able to pull together quite the show!

Any of you who haven't gone out to see the festivities on campus should definitely start checking some of them out! I would strongly suggest going to the play-in-a-day next year and trying out the jazz and dance shows if you get a chance.

No comments: